Glossary of Molding Terms

ARCHITRAVES: In classical architecture, it described the main beam resting on the tops of the columns. Today is it often used as a decorative moulding for ornamentation or finishing at the top of windows and doors.

BASEBOARDS: Baseboards are placed along the wall at the floor. They should be chosen to work in harmony with your casings to finish and tie the room together. Baseboards are usually thinner than your casing.

BUILD-UPS: Combining two or more moulding profiles to create a new or custom look. Also called stacking, build-ups make it east to create the look of custom made trim work without the high cost.

CASING: Casings define the overall character of a room and are often the most visible part of the trim. They are used primarily to cover the gap between drywall and the door and window frame. Casings are generally thicker than the base mouldings.

CROWNS:  Crowsn are placed along the wall at the ceiling. They come in a wide range of patterns and sizes. Crowns soften the transition from wall to ceiling while adding a distinctive look and charm to your room.

FINISH BOARDS: Finish boards come in either S4S (Surfaced 4 sides) or S3S (Surfaced 3 sides) and are used for a multitude of purposes including shelving,  windows liner, bases, casing, etc.

LATTICE: Lattice is a thin strip of flat moulding commonly used to hide seams and edges. Available in a multitude of widths, it is useful for a wide variety of projects.

PANEL MOULDS:  Panel Moulds are used to frame wall paneling and add an accent to your walls. Often used in furniture construction.

RAKE MOULDS: Often used as crowns, Rakes are sometimes called “solid-crowns”.

WAINSCOTT: Trimwork installed in the area below a chair rail. Numerous options are available including raised panel, shadow box and beaded. Combined with a chair rail and baseboard, Wainscoting creates a dramatic look to any room.

WINDOW STOOL:  Also called windows sill, a Window Stool is the surface installed below the sash of a window. Trim installed under windows stool creates a distinctive look and adds decoration to any room.

BASE SHOES: Base shoes are primarily used to trim flooring materials and are often used in combination with a traditional baseboard to conceal variations between the flooring and the base. However, this versatile profile works great to solve numerous trimming needs.

BATTENS: A Batten is a narrow strip of wood used to cover joints or as a decorative vertical members over plywood or wide boards.

BEADED CEILING:  A popular profile used often as wainscot paneling. Combine with a chair rail or cap mould and a baseboard, beaded ceiling make a distinctive wainscot package.

BRICKMOULDS: A Brickmould is mainly used as exterior casing around doors. 2 inches is the most common size, however, other sizes may be available. Brickmould can also be used in place of a crown, and as a transition under window sills.

BULLNOSE:  a term used to describe the eased edges of trim and stops. A single bullnose stop would have one eased edge and a square edge back. A double bullnose stop would have two eased edges.

CHAIR RAILS: Chair Rails are practical as well as decorative. Applied to a wall from 24 to 48 inches up from the floor, they protect the wall from scuffs and dents from the backs of chairs as well as adding a beautiful accent to any room.

CORNERS: Corners are used to protect the outside edges of the wall from damage and abrasion. Corners come in a wide variety of sizes and detailing.

COVES: Coves are commonly used to soften the transition on inside corners but may be used for a wide range of applications.

DENTIL:  A moulding pattern with a series of closely spaced rectangular blocks and spaces. Used especially in classic architecture.

DOOR STOPS: The Door Stop moulding are attached to the door jamb on both sides and at the top. It is where the door comes to a rest when it is closed stopping the door from moving any further, and covering the gap that would otherwise appear between the door and the jambs.

FULL ROUNDS: Full rounds are used for numerous purposes and projects. Some of the more common uses are closet poles, curtain rods and towel rods.

HALF ROUNDS: A cross section of a half round looks like a half circle and is used primarily as decorative trim. It works well as a trim piece for wall paper or to add a decorative pattern to flat panels. This profile can also be used to put a rounded edge on various shelving.

HANDRAIL: Handrails provide safety and support.

QUARTER ROUNDS: Quarter Rounds come in several sizes and serve a variety of functions. They are most often used with baseboards.

RETURN: Term used to indicate the method of carrying a mouldings detail from the front of the moulding back to the wall. Generally a 45 degree cut is made to the front of the long moulding and an opposite 45 is cut on the small piece to carry the detail to the wall.

SCREEN MOULD: A very versatile profile; Screen Mould fits a wide variety of needs and uses. Traditionally used to hold mesh screening into wood screens, it also works well as edge trim on various shelving or wood trim for wall paper etc.